Two Sundays ago we went to Utah. We went to Jenny's where everyone was having a Sunday dinner together. Before we got there, and actually a few times in the previous weeks, I was thinking about how much I don't like trampolines. And I thought to myself, I better give Olive a big talk about being careful before she gets on. We got there. Olive ran into the house ahead of me. I took about 3 minutes saying hi to everyone before I headed out to the backyard where she went. I was going to give her that talk. As I was on the way outside Shane was on the way inside, carrying Olive who was shrieking in pain. That's how fast it happened. The way witnesses explained it, she was trying to do a front flip (What the heck?? She's never done that before in her life!), and landed funny. She cried for an hour straight, nothing could distract her from the pain, and that's how I knew something was really up. We went to the ER, the nurse there said we were the sixth trampoline accident case in 2 days. Sure enough, Olive had a tibial buckle fracture. No cast, and the doctor said a splint really isn't necessary. The thing I found really interesting was that upon Googling "tibial buckle fracture" a couple of the articles that came up near the top talked about how it's kinda common for a kid near Olive's age to suffer that exact injury when jumping on a trampoline with older kids or adults. Olive was jumping with Dane, Brock, and Shane, so it makes sense. And it only affirms my dislike for trampolines. You can bury it or put a safety net around it, but this injury would still happen. Olive went 8 looooong days of crawling and being carried, and then finally started walking yesterday. She's still limping and favoring it, but she's definitely on the mend.


No comments:
Post a Comment